Sunday, May 2, 2010

Georgia

Last Friday, April 23rd, was my grandmother Georgia Nin or “Nini” as we affectionately call her, 80th Birthday!! 80, can you believe it?! She is exactly 50 years older than I..crazy to imagine all she’s seen and been through. I think I developed a LOT of Nin’s characteristics.. she’s a feisty one, so you can only imagine how excited she was about turning the big 8-0! She made it very clear, that she did NOT want a party {ha, is what I said to that!} ..and a party’s just what she got! ;)

On Friday morning, I called to wish the bday girl, a very happy 80th birthday, and she about took my head off when I said..the number. “Don’t say that out loud,” she barked! :) That evening, My dad and his wife Donna, My uncle Mike and his wife Becky, and my aunt Teresa and her husband Robert, all took Nini and her husband Bob, out to dinner at Roadhouse. Little did she know, that wasn’t even the beginning of her celebration. We let the weekend go by pretty quietly, and on Sunday, we headed over to Mike & Becky’s for her birthday lunch (a traditional lunch we usually do every Sunday after someone’s birthday..it’s just immediate family, so she thought nothing of it) I had sent out “formal invitations” the month before, and during lunch, all her guests were secretly arriving next door at her sisters! The day progressed, until she heard a knock on the door..

IMG_1050

IMG_1053

to say she was shocked, would be an understatement, and she welcomed in 40 of her nearest and dearest! :) Teresa and I quickly went over to do a “How pissed are you” check, and to our delight, she was good!!

IMG_1044

The Cake!IMG_1049

IMG_1055

IMG_1057

The kids..enjoying her birthday balloons!!

IMG_1040

IMG_1043

IMG_1056

.. a few of her guests..

IMG_1061

IMG_1063

IMG_1067

IMG_1066

IMG_1076

IMG_1077

IMG_1075

IMG_1073

IMG_1071

IMG_1072

IMG_1085Nin, and her sisters: Snookie, Patsy, & Shirley

IMG_1087 The girls, with one of their brothers, Sunny

For Nin’s gift, and everyone’s enjoyment, I created a slideshow of her last 80 years.. I spent an INSANE amount of time on it, and come Showtime, the video wouldn’t play!! (Sound familiar, Smalls?!..don’t worry yours is next!) I was almost in tears, when after several attempts, my step-brother lil’ cody, came through! He thought he might have a cord to connect my computer to the TV so he ran home to grab it, moment’s later..

IMG_1080 SUCCESS!!

I think everyone {esp. Nini} really enjoyed it, and that made me very happy..so here it is, for your viewing pleasure as well! ;)

some of my favorites..

36 doesn’t this look like a freakin post card??! She’s the oldest one..

34

img327

37 This is my Nini, and my grandfather Papa, My Uncle Mike, Dad, and aunt Teresa!!!

img349 Nin’s parents and brothers & Sisters

img375 Dad, Teresa, Mike {Is that not Aaron?!}, Nini & Papa

217 Nini & Mom, I suppose SHORT shorts were in!!

207

215

212

209

img389

210

IMG_0250 (2) @ my 30th birthday!

Happy HAPPY Birthday, Nin!! Love you so much..here’s to the NEXT 80 years!! :)

Until Next Time!

2 comments:

The Johnstons said...

LOVED it!! Happy 80th, Nini!!! It was like you were reading my mind..I thought, where is my video?! Ha, then I scrolled down and saw what you had written. Still looking forward to seeing it. I'll have to go back and watch Nini's video when I have a little more time. Then, I saw that picture where Mike looks EXACTLY like Aaron and you had already written it...and your Dad looks SO much like Brad in that same picture!!

Good job on all the planning and the party. I know she enjoyed every minute of it and it will surely be a day she'll always remember!

mom/missy said...

BEAUTIFUL Candy... Just like ALL you did for the Wonderful SURPRISE Party... She LOVED IT... and she was so PROUD of You for the video you made for her!!! You did a Wonderful Job on all of this for her... I am SO proud of you for it! This mom could not ask for a better daughter!
(and yes our shorts were IN STYLE) Nin's were of course a new set from The Sport Shop and mine were just cutoffs like Every Female in the 70's & 80's wore!!!
Love you angel!!!