Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sweet Child of Mine..

So..everyone knows I don't have any children of my own..but I am a very proud aunt of 6 sweet nephews and 2 sweeter nieces! :) I love them all, as if they were my own, which leads me to the point of this post. Did anyone see Oprah today?? Ugh-Child Predators!!! I have several different opinions on this touchy subject, which I'm sure will hit a nerve with some people. First and foremost, there is NO excuse for anyone that exploits children, either emotionally, physically, or sexually. I think child predators and sex offenders should be punished to the greatest extent of the law..but with that said, I think at the same time, parents should monitor their children's use of the Internet, know who they're talking to and what they're in to. I know a child is a child, and can't make "adult" decisions..but when I was 13 or whatever age, there is NO way I would have chatted with some stranger on the Internet and agreed to meet with them; which seems to be the number one way most child predators get to our kids.
But what about the other ways?? Today's show, made me dive even deeper into my thoughts and fears about the enormous spider web, we call the Internet..which led me to think..what about my BLOG??!! Could I be putting my precious nieces and nephews in harms way?? With the best intentions, I put all their pictures, names, activities, and schedules up for the world to see! I've always been conscious of "social networking"sites like facebook and myspace, and take every precaution to use the security features, so that only my "friends" see my information..so why didn't I think to do that with my blog?? I actually like it when random people come up to me and say..I LOVE your blog, or things like I read on your blog.. I LOVE my "tracker feeder" to see who logs on, or my counter that shows how many "hits" I've gotten..but I can't bear to think it could possibly do more harm than good. I'd hate for some sick predator to walk up to Addi at the ballpark, and call her by name.. or see Christian at a gym meet and do the same..So, what do yall think?? What are yall's opinions on the issue? I know blogger seems safer, because you usually have to know someone, that knows someone, that knows someone to see their pages..but I can't let that deter me...

Should I go private?? Should we all go private??!!

3 comments:

Mikki said...

I think you have to be very careful of using names, places, etc. Be cautious of what is in pictures and what are written on T-shirts that people in the pics are wearing. You can be careful but it is common sense but you can still let your guard down easily....so you have to stay on your toes.

bzanolini said...

Lets just say my blog is private for a reason. Personally I think its a good idea. You can invite all the people that you actually want to read your blog and block out all the other creeps.

mom/missy said...

I agree with bzanolini, you can invite as many and who you want to access what
you publish... your blog is
old enough for you to have a good idea of who to allow
and that way you can try to
keep the CREEPS out... we do want our babies, friends, and family safe.